Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet format discussion

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Pamphlet format discussion
Date: 21 Jul 2007 03:29:01 -0500

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| Integrating noweb into Axiom to support the current pamphlet file
| format seems entirely reasonable to me. I think calling noweb as a
| system supplied utility is the best approach.

Please don't go out of your way to "copy" noweb into Axiom.  Make it
a dependency.

At IBM Toronto, where we just had an ISO C++ meeting, I spoke again
with Benjamin Kosnik (from Red Hat, in CC:) about what would remain to be
done to get Axiom packaged and distributed in Fedora Core (for
example).  I explained what has been done in terms moving to standard
build system.  I pointed out that at this moment we still critically
depend on GCL and noweb.  He quickly made a search and informed me
that FC distributes GCL-2.6.7-something (but I guess the next FC may
distribute GCL-2.6.8 if it is finalized by then), but they do not
have noweb at the moment.  He looked at the noweb page and suggested
that a first step would be to list the noweb RPM as a dependency in yum
package and see how it works.  Benjamin is very willing to provide
advice on how to make forward progress with these issues.
I have not spoken with the SuSE people recently about the progress we
have made with Axiom.build-improvements, but I would be surprised if
they didn't say roughly the same thing.

We should try hard to avoid complicating system packager's life.