Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and Sage

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and Sage
Date: 10 Dec 2007 08:42:55 +0100

"William Stein" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10 Dec 2007 08:25:00 +0100, Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > "William Stein" <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > >   (2) jsmath looks identical to tex, since it is 100% implementation of
> > > the
> > > tex layout engine.
> >
> > I do not think that the latter is true.
>
> I should clarify what I meant -- it is an implementation of the TeX
> *Equation* layout engine, not the text part -- it's only for formulas.

are you sure? Does jsmath really implement TeX math mode? I.e., if I write a
nifty macro, and use it in math mode, will jsmath be able to handle it?

> > However, what I know is, that it uses the TeX fonts.
>
> It does allow one to use computer modern fonts (120K) if available; otherwise
> it uses unicode.  It can also use server-side bitmaped fonts.

Yes.

> > On the other hand, there is tex4ht, which is capable of producing html
> > specially prepared for jsmath rendering.
>
> That sounds cool and potentially very useful in order to attempt to avoid
> latex2html.

It is *very* cool.  What I like most about it, it uses TeX itself as
typesetting engine.  I.e., no matter how obscure your macro, it will be able to
handle it, since it doesn't handle it itself :-)

Moreover, it is able to produce a wide range of output: html+pictures,
html+jsmath, mathml, whatever.

I guess, however, that there is a speed penalty.  My idea of using it was to
have all the documentation written in LaTeX, transform it with tex4ht at build
time or when needed, and cache it.

Martin