Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom v. Maxima

From: Arthur Ralfs
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom v. Maxima
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 12:24:06 -0700

Zach wrote:

Tim, please tell me that Firefox will not be the only way to interface with Axiom. It will still be possible to write an Emacs mode for it, something like IMaxima? Also, why only Firefox, why not any browser?

Zach

Zach,

In the work I've done my goal has been to make a browser interface based
on completely free and open source software and standards, which I realized
was a possibility when I noticed Firefox supported MathML and SVG. If another browser supports these standards then anything I do should be easily transferable. I understand that there is a plugin (Mathplayer I think) that enables MathML in IE. However IE is not free and open source software so I don't code specifically for IE on my volunteer time. I also have heard that Opera has implemented some
sort of MathML support but I haven't looked into it.

Arthur