Re: [Axiom-developer] cannot build axiom

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] cannot build axiom
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:57:56 -0400

>> Did you set your AXIOM variable as:
>>   export AXIOM=(place)/axiom/mnt/debian
>>                                  ^^^^^^
>
>No? Why should I?

Axiom gets all the information it needs from the string "debian".

* It gets this string from the basename of the AXIOM variable.
* This "debian" string is used to fetch and build the proper makefile.
* It does this by using notangle to extract the stanza
     Makefile.debian
  from the Makefile.pamphlet file.
* The selected stanza knows everything necessary to build a debian system.
* The final AXIOM system gets built in the $AXIOM subdirectory, e.g.
     (place)/axiom/mnt/debian
  and that can be copied anywhere. Everything else can be erased.

"linux" is a generic name that tends to work everywhere.

>I followed the "readme". And I must admit that the line
>
>export AXIOM=/spad/mnt/linux       << which axiom to build
>
>puzzled me. I did not and do not understand what it says.
>
>I simply said:
>
>./configure
>
>That gave me
>
>export AXIOM=/home/hemmecke/software/axiom/mnt/linux
>export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
>make

The configure script is broken. I have to remove it.
It is unnecessary anyway.

>which I simply executed. If you now tell me that I have to replace
>"linux" by "debian", then thank you for the hint. But you understand
>that I am a bit frustrated that "configure" does not tell me exactly
>what I have to do.

I built the configure script because people insisted that "everybody"
types "configure". It just needs to go away.