[Axiom-developer] depsys reduction

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] depsys reduction
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:07:37 -0500

The current goal set involves reducing the complexity of the build
process for interpsys. There are two intermediate images to attack,
depsys and bootsys.

The depsys image is a macro-expansion environment for early compiles.
Most of the files in depsys have been merged into vmlisp.lisp.  The
exceptions are two aldor files which will be changed in a different way.

These changes are completed in patches 20090802-20080909.

The net result of this change is to reduce depsys to a single file
with the goal of removing this build completely. This will simplify
the whole build process.

The vmlisp file will be rewritten and restructured later.  It
contains, among other things, macros that I wrote to support the
VMLisp 370 mainframe lisp and the MACLISP lisp styles. When I joined
the Scratchpad group the system was being moved to Common Lisp. The
easy way to make this transition at the time was to provide a macro
layer, which I did.

The next logical step is to remove this macro layer and actually
rewrite the MACLISP/VMLisp primitives into common lisp.

The next actual step, however, is to remove the bootsys and the
boot code.