Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom compiling - newbie questions

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom compiling - newbie questions
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:05:02 -0500

Martin,

I think you are going about this the right way ... but you do have a
lot to learn. Programming in Spad in Axiom has a steep learning curve
but it does start to flatten out after a few years ... :-)  No, it's
not that bad but the output of the Spad compiler is simply atrocious.
I don't think there ever was a compiler in my worst nightmare that
produced such obscure and unhelpful output! The language though (if
you can learn to love strongly typed languages) is, in my opinion,
worth all the effort.

The message "Unexpected HT command" is really just a warning that
something in a comment (doc string) does not conform to requirements
for HyperTex processing. If the compile completed successfully you
will see a message about GrassmanAlgebra being "exposed" in your
session. If you get this you should try something like

  )show GrassmanAlgebra

to verify that it really is there.  Then just proceed to use it as you
would CliffordAlgebra.

Aldor is a whole other story and I recommend you read up on it at
http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org and/or consult the email archives.
To use it you definitely have to install additional software,
specifically Aldor itself which is not included in Axiom for licensing
reasons. There is also specific Aldor interface that needs to be
compiled if you want to use Aldor from inside Axiom.  Aldor itself can
be run as a stand alone general purpose language in addition to
serving as a potential replacement for Spad in Axiom.

Good luck and keep asking ...