Re: [Axiom-developer] html formatter

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] html formatter
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:18:50 +0000

On Saturday 30 Jan 2010 13:41:09 Tim Daly wrote:
> Are you aware of the work in Axiom Volume 11: The Axiom Browser?
> It uses mathml for mathematics display.

Tim,

I did come across it although I did not fully take it in at the time, so much
to learn when first looking at the Axiom documentation. The documentation
probably needs a bit more overview at the start of volume 11 before jumping
into build instructions so that newcomers can see what its all about.

It does seem a very nice idea, using the browser for what it is good at and
use Axiom for doing the maths. Is this is what provides calculations for the
Axiom wiki? It would be a good way to show new users the advantages of Axiom
if there were a page where they could type in a formula ,or sequence of axiom
commands, and see the result immediately on the web page.

Looking at the dates it looks like development on this stopped around 2007, so
I guess interest must have declined, which seems a pity.

Using the command line interpreter has pros and cons, I wonder if this could
be a way to overcome the cons, for instance: allowing the user to enter
mathematical symbols such as the Greek alphabet directly into the formula
using buttons on the web page?

Martin Baker