Re: [Axiom-developer] GSoC CAS-neutral test suite project

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GSoC CAS-neutral test suite project
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:55:54 -0500

Yes.

A trigonometry test suite would be interesting. I'm a member of
the Numerical Mathematics Consortium
(http://www.nmconsortium.org/index.aspx)
and they recently published a technical specification for trig functions.
(http://math.mit.edu/~numericalmath/nmc/index.php/Technical_Specification)

If you look at Appendix A you can see the table of branch-cut choices.
Since this consortium also includes companies such as Maple it would be
a good place to devote some "system independent" effort. It is on my "todo"
list to make a test suite based on this standard so I'd be happy to help
guide a student, even if someone else is the public lead.

In particular, just developing a test suite that would highlight the
branch cut choices made by a variety of systems would be very valuable.
I know that MMA and Maxima tend to agree and Axiom and Maple tend to
agree but we both make different choices.

In addition, we could poll the NMC for students. There are people in
the consortium with wide-ranging contacts, like Inria, Maplesoft,
National Instruments, etc.

Alternatively I think a test suite of sequences and series might be useful.
Or contact William Kahan about numerical library standards (e.g. BLAS? ATLAS?)
that might need standards. Richard Fateman is also a good contact as he is
one of the Maxima authors and well versed in things like floating point formats.
Stephen Watt is also another source of potential standards. James Davenport
is a lead on the OpenMath standards committee and could suggest potential
cross-platform standards.

Ted Kosan wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 06:40:49 -0800, Tim Daly
wrote to [Axiom-developer] Re: [sage-devel] Randomised testing against
Mathematica

There are two test suites with validated results at
http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/CATS/

The CATS (Computer Algebra Test Suite) effort targets
the development of known-good answers that get run
against several systems. These "end result" suites test
large portions of the system. As they are tested against
published results they can be used by all systems.

The integration suite found several bugs in the published
results which are noted in the suite. It also found a bug
introduced by an improper patch to Axiom.

It would be generally useful if Sage developed known-good
test suites in other areas, say infinite sequences and series.
Perhaps such a suite would make a good GSOC effort with
several moderators from different systems.

I have done some more work toward a trigonometric test
suite. So far I have found that Mathematica and Maxima
tend to agree on branch cuts and Axiom and Maple tend
to agree on branch cuts. The choice is arbitrary but
it affects answers. I am having an internal debate about
whether to choose MMA/Maxima compatible answers just to
"regularize" the expected results users will see.

Standardized test suites give our users confidence that
we are generating known-good results for some (small)
range of expected inputs.

An academic-based effort (which Axiom is not) could
approach NIST for funding an effort to develop such
suites. NIST has a website (http://dlmf.nist.gov/)
Digital Library of Mathematical Functions. I proposed
developing Computer Algebra test suites for their
website but NIST does not fund independent open source
projects. Sage, however, could probably get continuous
funding to develop such suites which would benefit all
of the existing CAS efforts.

NSF might also be convinced since such test suites raise
the level of expected quality of answers without directly
competing against commercial efforts. I'd like to see a
CAS testing research lab that published standardized
answers to a lot of things we all end up debating, such
as branch cuts, sqrt-of-squares, foo^0, etc.

Tim Daly

MathPiper (http://mathpiper.org) is the CAS which is used by GeoGebra
(http://geogebra.org) and GeoGebra was recently accepted as a Google
Summer of Code project.  The GeoGebra project has invited the
MathPiper project (which I lead) to participate in their GSoC effort
and I immediately thought that your idea of a CAS-neutral test suite
would be a good project candidate.

Would you be interested in helping to locate and mentor a GSoC student
to work on a CAS-neutral test suite which is based on the ideas you
discussed in the above email?

Ted Kosan