Re: [Axiom-developer] Introduction to Category Theory

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Introduction to Category Theory
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:23:46 -0400

Martin,

If you are thinking about category theory and graphical calculus you
might be interesting in

http://sites.google.com/site/quantomatic/
http://dream.inf.ed.ac.uk/projects/quantomatic/
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/quantomatic
http://sites.google.com/site/quantomatic/publications

A lot of this work is being done in the context of quantum computation
but the tools are much more general. The system uses the theorem
proving package Isabelle

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/hvg/Isabelle/

to reason about graphs and Poly/ML (a variant of standard ML that is
even more like SPAD) and Java for data structures and GUI.

This video

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/quantum/content/1005019/

is a pretty good introduction.

I became especially interested in this while implementing linear
operators as an extension of the Axiom CartesianTensor domain. See:

http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/LinearOperator

I think it would be great if there was a group of people who were
motivated to add something like this to Axiom.