Re: [Axiom-developer] how to send a patch

From: u1204
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] how to send a patch
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:04:48 -0400

>I found a lot typos and a few logical errors in bookvol0,
>I think it's better to use a git branch instead of a big patch,
>do you agree?

No matter how you send it I'm going to go through the change on
a line-by-line basis.

A branch might be a way to go but I had a very bad experience with
creating branches for people. Two developers had their own branches
and never bothered to merge the results back into the main line.

Eventually the branches were incompatible with each other
and with the main line. When I tried to pick up and merge the
changes I was unable to resolve them all, causing a lot of anger
and grief.

The end result was forking.

If you want to maintain a branch I expect that you'll pull from
the main branch, resolve any conflicts, build cleanly, and then
ask me to pull from your branch. If my pull fails I'm just going
to ask you to "fix" your branch by going through the process again.

I do not want to be in a position of having to resolve other
people's conflicts again. I can only get it wrong and end up
making people angry.

Create a branch if you like but I'd prefer a diff -Naur patch
or git patch.

>About typos, I found there are many many patterns like this:
>"a word or a phrase," next sentence.

>Should I exchange the comma and the quotation mark?

It turns out that, much to every programmers annoyance, putting the
punctuation inside the double-quote is correct. Real english language
editors "fix" this all the time by moving the punctuation inside.
So, no, don't "fix" these.

Tim Daly