[Axiom-developer] Directions

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Directions
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 10:13:18 -0500

I've been spending a lot of time working on Field Programmable Gate
Arrays (FPGAs) which is basically hardware that can be reprogrammed.

There have been some interesting developments in this area.

First, FPGAs are a lot more powerful and much cheaper.

Second, Intel just bought the second largest FPGA company, Altera.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102723697

Third, FPGAs are moving toward computational mathematics.
https://github.com/Gladdy/numerical-fpga-thesis

I believe, though I don't know for sure, that Intel will eventually
put an FPGA fabric on the same chip (Sytem on a Chip, SoC) as their
CPUs.

Axiom is in a unique position to exploit this kind of hardware merger.
If anyone has pointers to work on hardware-based symbolic/numeric
work, please send me a link.