Re: [Axiom-developer] Catching up on internals

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Catching up on internals
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 18:27:58 +0000

On 02/11/17 21:10, Tim Daly wrote:
Another thought... While people don't seem to like lisp as a platform
it does have major advantages. I usually find myself using the lisp
debugging facilities (trace, break, and REPL evaluation) to find
out what failed and where.

If you go from Spad to executable code you lose all of that.

Tim,

This is one of the problems, in my view, in that Lisp shows through underneath SPAD. That is debugging, error messages, outputs, etc. are often formatted as Lisp or require Lisp knowledge. I think this is particularly important for potential new users. SPAD has a steep enough learning curve on its own without needing to learn Lisp. Could it be things like this that prevent new user take up and explain the limited amount of discussion here?

What I would like would be a clean language for people interested in mathematics without all the baggage of having to learn lots of (non-mainstream) computer stuff that's not really about the mathematics.

Martin B