Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Sane musings (SEL4)

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Sane musings (SEL4)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 16:38:01 +0100

On 21/09/2019 13:40, Henri Tuhola wrote:
The elaborator reflection also allows accessing the term rewriting. I
suppose that's all you need in order to write a program that
simplifies equations inside the type context?

I am trying to understand if these equations could be solved in this way?

I think Axiom equation solving tends to work in terms of reals and complex numbers. I suspect that a type that depends on a floating point literal would be problematic in that the equality could fail due to a rounding error.

Also, although I never understood it, I get the impression that Axiom equation solving is extremely complicated. First representing it as functions within polynomials within functions an so on, then expressing the multivariate polynomials in terms of a single variable. I've probably got this all wrong but the point is: could elaborator reflection handle this level of complexity?

If these kinds of thing can't be done in the type system then I guess they would have to be handled differently from equations in proofs.

Martin