Re: Literate Executables

From: Terence Kelly
Subject: Re: Literate Executables
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:00:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feedback, and for pointing me to Axiom.

One "literacy" aspect of literate executables is that the latter can "give an account of themselves," in the sense of dumping their own source --- and their own documentation, which of course can be a literate program!

Imagine if the Axiom executable(s) could dump the PDFs containing the Axiom literate programs. That would ensure that any user capable of executing Axiom had the documentation *and* the source at her fingertips, with no possibility of executables and documentation becoming separated or mismatched.

I'd be happy to help if you'd like to try this. As my example code ("grep literatizer") illustrates, endowing a program with literacy (in my sense) is remarkably easy.

Thanks again & let me know.

-- Terence