axiom-math

Re: [Axiom-math] Groebner bases of a set of equations

From: Sureyya Sahin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Groebner bases of a set of equations
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:40:21 -0500

Hi William:
Thank you for your post regarding my problem on solving the Groebner
bases of a set of polynomial equation. The main problem is that not all
of the variables are associated with the set of polynomials, i.e., in
this case I have Q[x,y,ca,sa]. The rest of the variables are independent
parameters which can be interpreted as rational functions. I already
tried simpler polynomial equations and axiom gives me meaningful
results. Just as an example, if you try the following code in
Q(a2,a3,a4,rx,ry)[c3,s3,c4,s4];

n : List DMP([c3,s3,c4,s4], FRAC POLY INT)
n := [a2*c2+a3*c3-a4*c4-rx,a2*s2+a3*s3-a4*s4-ry,c3^2+s3^2-1,c4^2+s3^2-1]
g := groebner(n)

You will obtain meaningful results. This is the solution of the
kinematic equations of a simple four-bar linkage and the other
parameters a2,a3,a4,rx,ry are just symbols, yet axiom is capable of
giving me solution in this case. Here I am not talking about whether the
Groebner bases is defined or not, I am obtaining a set of Groebner base
solutions in terms of the symbolic variables.

On my original question: I am obtaining [1] as the Groebner base
solution which I interpreted as the solution set is the whole
Q[ca,sa,x,y], which would imply no solution as a consequence of
Nullstellensatz. Thus, I interpreted this as I have inconsistent
(meaningless) equations. But the equations describe a physically
meaningful system. And I can't catch an error on the equations. So, I
thought I may misinterpret the [1] that I receive from axiom. To my
understanding you think [1] may be coming from the symbolic variables;
but this does not make sense to me as I already defined Q[ca,sa,x,y] and
the rest is being taken as symbols as in the simple example I
illustrated.

I may yet try including the rest of the variables in the definition of
the polynomial, i.e., Q[ca,sa,x,y,cb,sb,r1,r2,r3,..]. But I have my
doubts as I have already shown that axiom can solve equations in
Q(cb,sb,r1,r2,r3,..)[ca,sa,x,y]. I may be misinterpreting your
suggestion, can you give more details of your recommendation?

Thank you for including your study on linear systems as well. Generally,
I am dealing with nonlinear polynomials in trigonometric/transcendental
functions. Thus, I will not be able to use a solution in linear
polynomials. Yet I will read to gain a bit more insight into the
symbolic computation.

Best Regards,