axiom-math

Re: Computing Galois groups

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Re: Computing Galois groups
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 10:42:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Fabio,

I don't have the time or energy to do a proper review for you.

That said, trying to explain an algorithm can be an effective way of finding the flaws in it. Start with the code and derive the purpose. This often reveals an inconsistency with the original high-level algorithm.

Unfortunately, other bugs come from an incorrect understanding of the tool you are trying to use, in this case Axiom. These can require an experienced developer to find, as you see what you expect, and they see what the computer actually does. Sometimes you can reduce this issue by replacing binary operators with named functions (less parsing mistakes). Other times you can do "the same thing" with a different choice of functions or operators, and compare results.

Do you have a simple example of when the algorithm does not work? Tracing its progress step by step can help spot the bug. This approach doesn't prove the overall algorithm, but it does eliminate one defect.

Best wishes!

-- Daniel