baby-devel

Re: [baby-devel] How to play against the computer

From: Jerome Kunegis
Subject: Re: [baby-devel] How to play against the computer
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:31:56 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

> Specifically, I got interested to have a computer player to play
> against. I can get the baby_gui_game up [...]

In the menu "Analyze", click on "Engine preferences".  The "Engine
preferences" dialog window should pop up.  There, enabled "Auto
reply".  This will make the chess engine start after every move you
make on the board.  Then in the "Timing" radio buttons, choose
"Time".

With these settings, you can play a game of chess.  If you want to
play with black, click on "Run" in the "Analyze" menu, and the engine
will start with white.  You can turn the board with "View|Turn
board".  Before you save a game, you should go to "Edit|Game
information" and enter the player names.

If you have any comments and ideas about the user interface, I'd be
very interested in them.

The program `baby_xboard_engine' is only used as an engine for XBoard,
which itself is another chess GUI.

For version 15 of BabyChess, I plan to have an additional program
called `baby_gui_match' that can be used to play a game against the
computer.  `baby_gui_game' is intended to be the chess game editor.

Thank you for your interest,

      Jérôme Kunegis