Re: [Bayonne-devel] Bayonne generated wav files are rather large.

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Bayonne-devel] Bayonne generated wav files are rather large.
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:47:55 -0400

In Bayonne, we use by default 8khz 8 bit (u/alaw) because this is about the
highest quality one gets out of the phone lines, because all telephony
drivers support this format directly, and because disk space is relativily
cheap these days.  There is adpcm, and sometimes it is sampled 4 bit adpcm at
6khz, although not all telephony drivers support this and that then requires
additional host processing for those that don't.  It is also possible to use
vox functions to eliminate silent sections, and it could be possible to add
that support to Bayonne drivers.