[Bayonne-devel] Status update

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] Status update
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:01:07 -0400

I know when I last wrote a status update, I suggested a very pessimistic
schedule for the year.  However, good progress has been made in several
important areas, even if this until now has been very quietly done.  In
particular, I am happy with current work on a new production server, to
the point where I am considering placing it on a public release track,
and doing so somewhat earlier than the very end of the year.  The exact
schedule for introduction and operational relationships between Bayonne
and Troll are also being changed based on recent work.

I have already received commitments from several people to help in
several specific areas with Bayonne.  One area that has remained an
issue has been with hosting for a new site.  I recall Lucia had offered
to work on a plone site for us, assuming we could secure suitable
hosting, and I am still endevering to do this.  However, there remains a
large number of areas I do currently need help with, and if anyone
further wishes to come forward to work on specific areas, I would be
most grateful.

Another item under review relates to transferring copyrights for Bayonne
and a number of other packages to the FSF.  Some parts of Bayonne were
already under FSF copyright assignment, and generally I am in favor of
doing the same for the rest, and doing so as expediently as possible.
This means that in the future we will make more aggressive use of FSF
copyright assignment forms, and any external contributions ideally
should also be FSF copyright assigned.  Generally I have encouraged this
in the past, so I am only suggesting this a little more strongly now.

Around the start of this month I consolidated much of the project around
sourceforge cvs, and this was done mostly for my own convenience.  I
have also started making use of www.gnutelephony.org, although in a
rather limited way while considering the question of hosting as already
noted.  In particular, I have wanted to consolidate bug tracking over
multiple packages.  I understand that ubantu is now offering such a
service, and I will look into that.

David