[Bayonne-devel] Bayonne2 Miniserver, XML, and Ripple

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] Bayonne2 Miniserver, XML, and Ripple
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:04:12 -0400

When I started thinking about re-implementing XML in future Bayonne
servers, one thing I realized early on is that most people will not often mix XML and Bayonne scripting. The original implementation in bayonne 1.x in fact required this to happen, since script commands were the only way to get Bayonne to launch a url. Hence, even simple applications which then launch a url would each need a wrapper script.

A new solution I am now experimenting with is something I call "ripple", which is an alternate way of using libccscript. While normally libccscript(3) builds a complete script driven application environment, libccscript3 also can be used in a special mode, known as ripple, where it instead parses a single config file which can then be defined in [sections] which contain simple script statements that then looks very much like a "samba" config file. These statements allow one to define inbound and outbound trunk groups, and can be used to launch something else for inbound/outbound calls (such as initial url's) or do basic things like define trunk pools and routing rules for a non-script intensive application server, like troll.

Even better, using ccscript this way also retains the ability to
dynamically reload configurations while the server is running.  And that
means finally being able to dynamically reload trunk groupings as well.
Hence, in addition to its use in Bayonne applications, ccscript3 is also
rapidly evolving into a configuration language for future servers.

One option I am considering, in addition to using ripple for XML servers, is to create an alternate and simplified mini-server/launcher for bayonne who's sole purpose is to assign and launch external (libexec) applications for inbound and outbound calls. Many issues with libexec performance have been greatly improved in Bayonne2. The functional range of what libexec applications are able to do has also been greatly expanded. Bayonne2 libexec applications will soon be able to directly use the phrasebook system to sequence multi-lingual audio prompts. Hence it will become possible to create entirely external bayonne applications that are fully useful.

My question is whether there would be interest if I offered an optional simplified Bayonne2 miniserver/libexec launcher along with the regular Bayonne2 application server.