bbdb-user

Re: FreeBSD package build failure with Emacs 26.1

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: FreeBSD package build failure with Emacs 26.1
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:51:00 -0400

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know specifically about FreeBSD, but I use NetBSD and maintain
> various things in pkgsrc, which is similar (and has long-ago shared
> ancestry) with the FreeBSD package system.

> These comments are mostly for Joseph; debugging needs to be done within
> the freebsd environment to see what is going on.

> 1) Do this again with all concurrency (e.g. make -j8) turned off.  The
> multiple jobs make it hard to follow.

> 2) Looking at the log, I see a complaint about bbdb-ispell and
> permissions, and the same thing for 8 others.  Is the packaging system
> adding any checks.  (NetBSD's pkgsrc adds checks for executable bits on
> regular files, and so on, but the messages are clear, so I'm guessing
> it's not a ports thing here.)

> 3) When you try to build the bbdb package by hand, outside of ports,
> with that version of emacs, how does it go?  If that works and the ports
> build doesn't, that narrows it down.  And if it fails, you can report a
> much simpler error.

Thanks for this.  I have narrowed down the problem.

Under emacs 26.1, commands like this are failing.

/usr/local/bin/emacs-26.1 --batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -L . \
--eval '(setq byte-compile-dest-file-function (lambda (_) "bbdb.elc"))' \
-f batch-byte-compile 'bbdb.el'

If I change it to

/usr/local/bin/emacs-26.1 --batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -L . \
--eval '(setq byte-compile-dest-file-function (lambda (_)
"/full/path/of/pwd/bbdb.elc"))' \
-f batch-byte-compile 'bbdb.el'

or

/usr/local/bin/emacs-26.1 --batch --no-init-file --no-site-file -L . \
-f batch-byte-compile 'bbdb.el'

there are no errors.

The problem is isolated to our package building tool, poudriere.  To get
(more) reproducible builds, it uses things like nullfs mounts and clean
jails.  Something about this setup is triggering a problem in 26.1 that
appears to have been fixed in the master branch.

In any case, I have patched the Makefile to remove the

--eval '(setq byte-compile-dest-file-function (lambda (_) "bbdb.elc"))' \

and the package is building again.  Unless anyone has a less ad-hoc
solution, I will commit this change to get the packages out again.

--
Joseph