bbdb-user

Re: Conversion of old db

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Conversion of old db
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 21:32:03 -0600

On 27 December 2019 at 21:10, Roland Winkler wrote:
| On Thu Dec 26 2019 Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > No highjacking a thread but Roland wrote ...
|
| No worries!
|
| >   -rw------- 1 edd edd 3.5M Nov 13  2018 .bbdb.BackupToKeep
|
| Looks like your old database is fairly big (though this should not
| matter).
|
| >   bbdb-check-mail: Not enough arguments for format string
|
| I looked at the code of bbdb-check-mail, which has only one call of
| format, where I cannot see a possibility how this call could have
| fewer arguments than expected.  Therefore, I am a bit confused about
| the error you see.
|
| You can bypass the calls of bbdb-check-mail by setting
| bbdb-allow-duplicates to t, for example
|
|  (setq bbdb-allow-duplicates t)
|
| Does this help?  (Is it your intention to allow mail duplicates?
| Then you need this anyway.)

Wow, yes!  Loads faster and ... works with old the db.  Amazing.

Got one set of messages:

  Warning (undo): Buffer ‘*BBDB*’ undo info was 12368960 bytes long.
  The undo info was discarded because it exceeded `undo-outer-limit'.

  This is normal if you executed a command that made a huge change
  to the buffer.  In that case, to prevent similar problems in the
  future, set `undo-outer-limit' to a value that is large enough to
  cover the maximum size of normal changes you expect a single
  command to make, but not so large that it might exceed the
  maximum memory allotted to Emacs.

  If you did not execute any such command, the situation is
  probably due to a bug and you should report it.

  You can disable the popping up of this buffer by adding the entry
  (undo discard-info) to the user option `warning-suppress-types',
  which is defined in the `warnings' library.

I can set 'undo-outer-limit.  Otherwise any practical advice for dealing with
what has become a large bbdb file?  (Obviously, it used to auto-learn, and
back in the day we all used to email more on more lists so ...)

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | address@hidden