bbdb-user

Re: add sender without mail if mail is in some ignored-list?

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: add sender without mail if mail is in some ignored-list?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 17:26:39 -0400

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
    > The other, that mcr@ refers to, is gitbub's practice of sending email
    > that looks like

    > John Doe <address@hidden>

    > This is broken in two ways.  One, it implies that
    > address@hidden is John's address, and this is the point for
    > bbdb.  Second, one can't reply.

It would be okay if I could add address@hidden, but without John Doe.
Maybe I should add the email manually with a flag say do not merge names.
With bbdb2, I used to run extra hooks each time I saw an email.
(I don't know how to do this right with bbdb3 yet..)

    > So, bbdb should have some sort of list of email addresses that should
    > always be ignored and never auto-added in any way, because there is no
    > reason to think they are validly asssociated with a person.

    > address@hidden and any similar mis-used forge sender addresses
    > should be on this default list.

Or, they could be entries in the address book with flags.
Maybe the address book could get initialized with a default list if someone
wants.