bbdb-user

Re: Handling "via" addresses

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Handling "via" addresses
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 18:47:27 -0500

On Tue, Jul 05 2022, Sam Steingold wrote:
> Roland, are you going to deal with this somehow or should I report this
> as an Emacs bug?

The function bbdb-extract-address-components passes the return value of
mail-extract-address-components through bbdb-clean-address-components
that calls the user-defined functions bbdb-message-clean-name-function
and bbdb-message-clean-mail-function.  But it seems to me that these
user functions should be needed only for very exotic cases.  So yes, it
seems to me that mail-extract-address-components is really the most
appropriate place to deal with your issue.  (It's my point of view that
BBDB should not try to reinvent the wheel if it deals with problems that
are not BBDB-specific which, I believe, is the case here.)  Therefore,
I suggest to file a bug report for mail-extract-address-components.