bbdb-user

Re: Snarf Vcards

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: Snarf Vcards
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 16:45:53 -0500

Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> My knowledge of vcards is very limited.  I developped bbdb-snarf-vcard
> when I had some very simple "real" vcards.  Beyond that, I just looked
> at RFC 6350.  But I believe that vcards out in the wild interpret the
> standard more or less generously.  So there is likely room for
> improvement in bbdb-snarf-vcard.

I realize it's a bit old thread.  And I am no expert either.  But this
is a topic I have had some interest in for some time.  At some point I
came across the following article:

https://alessandrorossini.org/the-sad-story-of-the-vcard-format-and-its-lack-of-interoperability/

Which seemd to confirm a lot of the same suspicions you mentioned, which
I also have had for some time now.

Another resource would be perhaps consulting with someone like the DAVx5
project[0] or someone who is similarly, intimately familiar with all the
peculiarities found 'out in the wild'.

For my part, I basically gave up on trying to parse those sort of
vCards, as it seems to me (and somewhat confirmed by above article) that
the big players are breaking the standard 'just enough' so that it
doesn't work well.

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] https://www.davx5.com