bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Mozilla and Iran!

From: Jon D.
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Mozilla and Iran!
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- Hooman Baradaran <address@hidden> wrote:
> Then how is it that it can't be
> exported to Iran?
>
> I mean I know that you are using it in Iran but why
> should it even be subject
> to U.S. laws? I think I sent something like this
> before but it just makes me
> go nuts that U.S. tries to own everything including
> open source!

Probably because the mozilla.org website is hosted in
the US.  They're not allowed to export strong crypto
(mozilla-psm) .  This is a big reason that Debian has
the 'non-us' apt repository in the Netherlands.  And
OpenBSD is hosted in Canada.   Just find a non-US
mirror and there's nothing illegal about it.

-Jon D.