bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Any good email security mailing list?!!

From: Arash Partow
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 07:44:48 +1100

Hi,

Its not fully an illusion, the way such things work is by placing
a url in a html image tag pointing to a cgi script with the
recipient's name or some kind of ID which will refer to the
recipient. The theory is when the e-mail is opened in html mode,
the html engine will go to the link to get the image (really a
cgi script) the cgi script is then invoked, it takes the params of the
tag, either makes a record in some kind of db (actual db or
simple text file) or even sends an e-mail of notification to the
sender, once thats complete it pumps out either the location of the
real image to stdout or pumps the image's binary to stdout with
its image identifier as the header.

This only works with e-mail clients that actively render html
(ie: out-look, and any web based e-mail client (ie: hotmail,
yahoo etc..)) However I've noted before that web-based clients
such as horde, neomail, squirrel do not actively render html.

This was/is a way that spammers verify e-mail addresses they
place an image in the e-mail they send using a html image tag,
and pass an id as a parameter, that id results in an e-mail
address in their DBs once the image with that id has been grabbed
off their server that event is recorded, from that they make their
e-mail list CDs and sell it to other spammers, hence making
another avenue for income.

If you like I can send you a script that I have developed which
will demonstrate this idiotic tactic for you. As far as
applications go I really don't know of any specific apps that
will do it. But I more than sure if you go into some spammer chat
channels you'll be able to get info on that. you could also try
joining the securityfocus.com ML

Regards

Arash

Be one who knows what they don't know,
Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know,
Thinking they know everything about all things.
http://www.partow.net