bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Status of FarsiKDE project

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Status of FarsiKDE project
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:57:18 +0200

On Saturday 17 January 2004 22:08, ocean wrote:
> Hi
>
> Will sb please give a full, exact, detailed report of
> the current status of FarsiKDE project?

Looking at the CVS, or the web-cvs frontend, should give you a full,
detailed, exact report of the status of the project.

> Have there been any efforts to Persianize OpenOffice?!

I tried it once. There were all these tons (ok not tons, but still a
couple of) documents that I signed and sent to Sun (via snail mail) and
then things were going smooth, but at the time OOo didn't have complete
RTL capaility, and aside from that, the job was really too big.

Open Office has more stinrgs, than KDE and Gnome put together. I
couldn't believe the number of strings that I was facing. Furthermore,
their internationalization process was really ages behind the time.
They had no firm idea of how to translate the software. For example
they first required me to translate some 3000 core strings. And you
know what? They gave me the 3000 strings in a html file, and expected
me to write the translation of each word in front of it, IN AN HTML
file. As if things like PO and POT and all the advancement that we have
seen in the i18n department have never been made. The whole process
made me and Arash Zeini laugh hard at the time.

And then, in late 2002, I got in contact with an Iranian living in
Canada, who was interested in translating OOo and adding full farsi
support to it. He wasn't alone and had 4-5 of his collegues helping
him. They were going to do this as a university project. He was even an
Office expert and programmer, having been employed in Corel before, and
having real knowledge of WordPerfect. Unfortunatly the project never
started. It appears that his frineds lost interest in this project, and
did something else instead.

And that'w what I am aware of. I am sure that there have been no further
attemts of translating it, as  I would have been informed otherwise.

Put it this way, it's a very big job. Bigger than FarsiKDE.

Cheers

--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */

Aryan Ameri