bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Announcing removal of TODO items

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: [bongo-devel] Announcing removal of TODO items
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:27:10 +0100

I'm happy to announce the removal of the following TODO items:

 * Install audio CD functionality by Daniel Jensen.

(There's another thread about this.)

 * Provide a way to easily change `bongo-next-action'.

You may now change playback mode by giving a C-u argument to
one of the playback commands.  For example, `C-u C-c C-r'
switches to random playback mode, and `C-u C-c C-s' switches
to start/stop playback mode (i.e., stop after each track).
Others are `C-u C-c C-n', `C-u C-c C-p' and `C-u C-c C-a'.
The default mode is progressive playback (`C-u C-c C-n').

 * Allow pseudo-tracks that perform some action when played
   instead of actually starting a player backend.  You could
   have a pseudo-track that would stop playback, for example,
   or one that would change the value of `bongo-next-action'.

I have implemented this.  It may still be a bit rough, but
it works so there is no reason to keep it as a TODO item.

The behavior of some playback commands have been improved to
take advantage of action tracks.  For example, `3 RET' will
now insert a stop action track three tracks down, with the
effect of playing the next three tracks.  Also, `3 C-c C-s'
will do the same thing without affecting playback, with the
effect of stopping after the next three tracks.

You may insert a stop action track using `C-u C-u C-c C-s'.
Try `C-u C-u C-c C-n', `C-u C-u C-c C-p', `C-u C-u C-c C-n'
and `C-u C-u C-c C-r' to insert some other action tracks.

Use `i a' to insert an action track that evaluates an
arbitrary expression.

 * Phase out `bongo-avoid-interrupting-playback'.  Giving a
   prefix argument N to `bongo-stop' should insert a stop
   sentinel pseudo-track after the Nth next track.

The last references to `bongo-avoid-interrupting-playback'
are gone.  This variable is now obsolete.

 * Cache metadata?  Maybe even make it editable?  This would
   be a good way to let the user put titles on URLs.

Most of this had to be implemented in order to handle CDs
with CDDB information properly.  I have now made it possible
to put titles on URLs and made it easy to change them (`r').

My last patch contains all these changes and then some.
To my defense, implementing the action track functionality
required rather wide and deep changes.

I urge everyone to play with this to your heart's content.
No doubt I introduced bugs with this change, although I like
to believe I fixed some too.

Oh, I changed `bongo-play-random' to avoid playing tracks
that were already played, and added `bongo-reset-playlist'
to mark all tracks as unplayed.  This command is currently
bound to `F' (`S-f').  I considered `R', but that made me
want to move `f' to `F' for symmetry --- please comment.

Best regards,

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>