bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo in Emacs 23

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo in Emacs 23
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:25:23 +0200

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> I think that having two separate manuals for users and developers is
> a mistake; our goal is to turn users into developers, so mixing
> development material in the manual is good (as long as it stays in
> separate sections, appropriately cross-referenced).

I strongly agree.

> Daniel, could you create a skeleton of this manual in Texinfo form
> in your darcs archive to create a common base?

Done.  I'm attaching the skeleton for ease of comment.

> I'm volunteering for the ``Playing tracks'' sections, if
> nobody else wants it.

Cool!

I'm excited about this.  Once Bongo has a proper manual,
it will be essentially complete.  The rest is dessert.

\input texinfo   @c -*- texinfo -*-
@c %**start of header
@setfilename bongo.info
@settitle Bongo Manual
@c %**end of header

@set LAST-UPDATED  April 3, 2007

@copying
Copyright @copyright{} 2007  Daniel Brockman

@quotation
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or
any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.
A copy of the license is included in the section entitled ``GNU FDL''.
@end quotation
@end copying

@titlepage
@title Bongo Manual

@page
@vskip 0pt plus 1filll
@insertcopying
@end titlepage

@contents

@dircategory Emacs
@direntry
* Bongo: (bongo).       Flexible and usable media player for Emacs.
@end direntry

@ifnottex
@node Top
@top The Bongo Media Player

Bongo is a flexible and usable media player for GNU Emacs.  This manual
describes how to use Bongo and some of how to customize and extend it.
The manual was last updated on @value{LAST-UPDATED}.

@insertcopying
@end ifnottex

@menu
Using Bongo

* Introduction::        An overview of basic Bongo concepts.
* Inserting Tracks::    Populating your buffers with media.
* Playing Tracks::      Listening to audio and watching video.
* Library Buffers::     Organizing your media collection.
* Saving and Loading::  Storing Bongo buffers in files.

Advanced Topics

* Internals::           How Bongo works and how to hack it.
* Writing Backends::    Telling Bongo how to use other players.

Legal Matters

* Copying::             Your rights and freedoms regarding Bongo.
* GNU FDL::             The license for this documentation.

@detailmenu
Here are some other nodes which are really inferiors of the ones
already listed, mentioned here so you can get to them in one step:

Basics

* Tracks::              Media files, URIs, audio CDs, DVDs, etc.
* Backends::            External applications used to play tracks.
* Buffers::             Playlists and libraries, which hold tracks.

Tracks

* File Tracks::         Tracks for media files on your local file system.
* URI Tracks::          Tracks for remote media such as Internet radio.
* CD Tracks::           Audio tracks representing your local CD player.
* VCD Tracks::          Video tracks representing your local CD player.
* DVD Tracks::          Tracks representing your local DVD player.
* Action Tracks::       Special tracks for performing actions.

Playback

* Pausing::             Temporarily stopping playback.
* Seeking::             Rewinding or fast-forwarding tracks.
* Volume Control::      Changing the volume of your sound card.
* Last.fm::             Submitting song information to Last.fm.
@end detailmenu
@end menu

@node Introduction
@chapter Introduction

You are reading about Bongo, the flexible and usable media player for
GNU Emacs.  Bongo is flexible because it is not overly controlling ---
it lets you use its tools however you want without getting in the way.
It is usable because it has good bindings and works well by default.

Four nouns central to Bongo are @dfn{tracks}, which represent media
resources; @dfn{backends}, which control applications used to play
media; and @dfn{playlists} and @dfn{libraries}, which are used to
organize tracks.

One simple and common way to use Bongo is to create a playlist, insert
some tracks, and then play those tracks --- manually, randomly, or in
order.  Another common way is to create a library, insert a large number
of tracks, and then pick out a few of them into a playlist.

The following sections describe these basic concepts in turn.

@menu

@node Tracks
@section Tracks

@node Backends
@section Backends

@node Buffers
@section Buffers

@node Inserting Tracks
@chapter Inserting Tracks

@menu
* File Tracks::         Tracks for media files on your local file system.
* URI Tracks::          Tracks for remote media such as Internet radio.
* CD Tracks::           Audio tracks representing your local CD player.
* VCD Tracks::          Video tracks representing your local CD player.
* DVD Tracks::          Tracks representing your local DVD player.
* Action Tracks::       Special tracks for performing actions.
@end menu

@node File Tracks
@section File Tracks

@node URI Tracks
@section URI Tracks

@node CD Tracks
@section CD Tracks

@node VCD Tracks
@section VCD Tracks

@node DVD Tracks
@section DVD Tracks

@node Action Tracks
@section Action Tracks

@node Playing Tracks
@chapter Playing Tracks

@menu
* Pausing::             Temporarily stopping playback.
* Seeking::             Rewinding or fast-forwarding within tracks.
* Volume Control::      Changing the volume of your sound card.
* Last.fm::             Submitting song information to Last.fm.
@end menu

@node Pausing
@section Pausing

@node Seeking