[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Bug binutils/17184] New: windres: Subtle incompatibility with Windows 8
mity at morous dot org
[Bug binutils/17184] New: windres: Subtle incompatibility with Windows 8/8.1
Sat, 19 Jul 2014 08:54:37 +0000
Bug ID: 17184
Summary: windres: Subtle incompatibility with Windows 8/8.1
Assignee: unassigned at sourceware dot org
Reporter: mity at morous dot org
When building mCtrl project (, ) with mingw-w64 toolchain (which involves
binutils), I encounter the issue .
To reproduce, many conditions have to be met:
* OS is Windows 8 or 8.1 (I have access to 64-bit only though).
* Program embeds Internet Explorer (in the process).
* The resources are accessed through IE's res: protocol (see )
* The resource script in .exe must include application manifest.
* The bug happens only on 1st run (i.e. to reproduce again, you have to
"touch" the .exe, reboot or whatever).
I do not know how, on the level, the embedded MSIE reads the resources, but
given the conditions above, some of them are read corrupted.
I admin the bug seems very suspicious as it requires a lot of code to embed the
browser, and set of the conditions to reproduce is quite complex. However I did
my very best to isolate the problem to windres utility (comments in 
summarizes the effort).
Note the complexity is in mCtrl.dll, while it is very simple ex_html.exe and
its resource script which, when compiled with windres, triggers the bug.
Especially please note that one of my experiments was to build the mCtrl.dll +
ex_html.exe with MSVC, with one exception: ex_html.exe was created by
(MSVC)linking MSVC-produced ex_html.c.o with windres-produced ex_html.rc.o and
this still triggers the bug.
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
- [Bug binutils/17184] New: windres: Subtle incompatibility with Windows 8/8.1,
mity at morous dot org <=