[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: CVS Feature Version 1.12.11 Released!

From: Mark D. Baushke
Subject: Re: CVS Feature Version 1.12.11 Released!
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:22:31 -0800

Hash: SHA1

Derek Robert Price <derek@ximbiot.com> writes:

> Jim.Hyslop wrote:
> >Derek Robert Price wrote:
> >
> >>Feature CVS 1.12.11 has been released.
> >
> >This is a good opportunity for me to re-ask the question which I
> >posed about two weeks ago - is there any roadmap when 1.12 will
> >become the "stable" version 1.13? "Fuzzy" answers like "sometime
> >soon", "it'll be a while yet" or "No idea" are acceptable ;=)
> I was originally shooting for an RC release in early November with a
> stable 1.12 by the end of first quarter 2005, but that schedule has
> slipped slightly, as you might surmise, and I'd yet to discuss this
> plan with the other CVS developers, for lack of time on my own part,
> so they (and anybody else) should feel free to jump in at me now.  :)
> Here are the issues I have bothered to track lately and would still
> like to see fixed before 1.12.x becomes stable:
>    1. Zlib compatibility issue.  Apparently some CVS clients using
>       older zlib libraries compress data in such a way that CVS
>       1.12.10+ can no longer decompress it.  Problems have been
>       reported with MacCVSClient & SmartCVS (a Java client).  A CVS
>       1.11.18 client talking to a 1.12.11 server does not have this
>       problem.  The MacCVSClient reporter claimed to have linked
>       MacCVSClient with ZLib 1.2.1, as CVS 1.12.x is using, and still
>       encountered the problem.  I have not gotten any farther than
>       confirming that the example data stream the reporter sent (it's
>       attached to the issue:
>       <https://ccvs.cvshome.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=215>) makes
>       sense to a 1.11.18 server and not a 1.12.11 server.  I'd like
>       this fixed before we go to RC.  I'd also like to add a new
>       CVSROOT/config option to restrict CVS clients to certain
>       compression levels from the server side.

I think this is the only one that is really stopping 1.12.x from being
made the 'stable' release.

>    2. Fix UTF-8 diff --side-by-side issue.

I suspect that moving to a diff-2.8.x (where x is probably 7) as the
captive version of 'diff' used by cvs would solve this particular issue.

It would probably also be a good idea to have cvs honor and use
setlocale() related environment variables.

I would like to see UTF-8 support in cvs, but I am not sure that it is
needed enough to hold up making cvs 1.12.x be declared STABLE.

>    3. Incorporate a few new GNULIB updates.

Yup, I agree that it would be nice to fetch and use the latest GNULIB

> I think most of my other major issues, like core dumps on `cvs ls',
> have been resolved.  Most of the rest of the items on my personal list
> are features than can wait for the next feature series.
> Feeling enlightened?  Feeling motivated?  :)

It might make sense to go thru the outstanding issues on cvshome.org and
see which problems if any are still outstanding that might hold up
moving to a 1.12.x stable.

For what it is worth, I'd like to see if there are any other extensions
to the CVS protocol used by the CVSNT folks that CVS could easily
support and I'd like to see if CVSNT would be interested in picking up
some of the new protocol stuff in 1.12.x for production use.

It would be nice if folks with other clients out there could do some
testing with a cvs 1.12.x server to see if there are any other problems
that might be a show stopper.

        -- Mark
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (FreeBSD)


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]