chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] switching to mercurial?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] switching to mercurial?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:00:36 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
Hi, folks!

I'm currently evaluating the mercurial revision control system
(http://www.selenic.com/mercurial) and like it quite a lot.
It's just as easy to use as darcs, but has some more convenience
features and is pretty fast. I like darcs, but it's horrible performance
is starting to annoy me, and users repeatedly have problems
building it.

This is mainly intended for core chicken hacking, which means mostly
myself (even though I'd love to have more people participating!).
Mercurial is written in Python and doesn't have the bootstrapping
issues darcs has. It's not quite as flexible, though.

How many people (1) strictly must build Darcs, because there is no binary for their platform, (2) are making substantive contributions to Chicken rather than just twiddling? If you've got people actively porting Chicken to a lot of new platforms, then I can see your point. Otherwise, the most bang for the buck is to stick with the mainstream OSes that have binaries already.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every