chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] state of affairs on win32

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] state of affairs on win32
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:15:52 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
Hi!

I currently don't know what to do about the chicken+cmake-on-windows-VS problem (the hang during compilation). Since I'd like to push for a new release soon, I
inquire hereby if it would be acceptable to leave this problem as it is?

Bear in mind the problem is specific to VS 2005 Express. Although I'd like to see the problem get fixed, it's acceptable to me to stick it in the bugtracker, and let it rot until someone wishes to take it on. I had hoped that one of the newbies running VS 2005 Express would be interested in conjuring a debug version of Chicken and instrumenting it, so that we get a better idea where the error is. i.e. Those who really want it, could help to get it fixed. I'd like to think that's the open source way, but of course the other OSS way is, "this tool doesn't work very well, and I'm not bothering with it again until it does." We lose a certain percentage of newbies with VS 2005 Express being broken. That's a concern to me, but not enough of a concern to drop what I'm doing right now and deal with it.

I could do it myself, but signature gathering season has begun and I now lack time. It is 3:15 pm as I write this, I haven't done a lick of paying work today, and that's because I stayed up late last night finishing the "reuse the PCRE object files during builds" functionality in CMake. Plus my boss just called and I told him I took the morning off. That's my perogative, but it doesn't sound good at the beginning of a run, and I can't keep doing that. So, I'm not interested in creating new debugging / maintenance projects for myself right now. I finished the PCRE one after a lapse of 2 weeks, just so it would be done before I (likely) hit the road and lose my computer access, and so it isn't left unfinished and forgotten.

I think the best interim answer for chagrined newbies is "MinGW works fine. Use that."

Of course, the basic problem is that we don't have a Windows maintainer
(i.e. one who has all the development tools and is able to debug the .c code).

Is there one? Please show yourself!

I feel I am a primary Windows tester, particularly with regards to MinGW as that's my primary development environment. MSVC is a distant second for me. I don't develop with it, I just make sure the build is working. I mainly test with Visual Studio .NET 2003 and things work fine there. I note also the value of John Cowan's Cygwin testing. I think the testing of Windows is covered well enough, short of an automated nightly build-and-test suite. But I don't think either of us would describe ourselves as Windows "maintainers," in the sense of fixing broken code. I did some of that to get the build working, once upon a time, but I wouldn't describe my knowledge of Chicken as very deep. I still haven't coded anything with it, and I'd much rather become known as an OpenGL maintainer than a Windows maintainer.

I can not do Windows maintenance. This means that Windows support will
be lacking until someone picks this up. This is bad. Brandon will not like this.
Chicken can and should run on Windows, even with M$'s broken tools.

Do remember that it does, on everything but VS 2005 Express. The unified build system is doing a lot of the job. I of course have no problem being known as the Windows / CMake *build* maintainer, as that's exactly what I am. Generally it's the Linux side of things that I don't want to get deeply involved with. Especially since there are oodles of people available to do Linux stuff. I don't feel that manpower is an issue on Linux, only people's will / discipline to do what needs to be done. On Windows there's a notable shortage of developers, so I'm more likely to do things myself, out of a sense of "no one else will."

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every