chicken-hackers

Re : [Chicken-hackers] Re: Ogre 3D engine

From: minh thu
Subject: Re : [Chicken-hackers] Re: Ogre 3D engine
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:21:06 +0100

2007/2/26, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden>:
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Efficient math operators would be useful to me.  That's what I always
> wanted out of Chicken Scheme.  Perhaps we could put Chicken through
> some kind of 3D number crunching demo.  Of course, the question is
> whether Chicken can do a provably good job at it.  If there are no
> performance advantages to Chicken, then people are just going to use
> Python, Ruby, or Lua.  There are already Python and C# / .NET bindings
> for Ogre.  Yet-another-scripting-language, by itself, is not a value add.
>
> Maybe Continuations are a benefit somehow.

Being able to compile scripts into machine code might be useful for
security and anti-piracy purposes.  Most scripting languages and virtual
machines are cake to reverse engineer from bytecode.

I have succeeded in getting MSVC set up with a sample application.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/SettingUpAnApplication
Now there's lotsa API stuff to chug through.  There are lotsa tutorials
though.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ogre_Tutorials

Hi,

Sorry for responding so late.
When I said I was interested, I didn't know about your mail on
chicken-hackers about choosing C++ and maybe Ogre. So, I'm still
interested in a 3D engine but I won't do C++ now.

For securing a vm, you might want to have a look at E Right. I think
it's based on the jvm but adds strong security related mechanisms (not
just distribution).
Concerning Chicken, would it be sufficient to provide a limited
environment (the sandbox egg) ?

Cheers,
thu