chicken-hackers

[Chicken-hackers] use host PCRE...

From: Vincent Manis
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] use host PCRE...
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:26:21 -0800

I would hope that this feature could be supported across platforms? I would not use it myself, but I have a lot of sympathy for it, especially in environments where you might want to ensure that several different applications were all
using the same version, as well as in embedded applications.

I think that Felix should add a message, when this option is selected, that use of versions of PCRE other than that provided with Chicken is completely
at the user's risk, and that resulting frantic requests for help to the
mailing list are unlikely to produce useful help.

I also think that the README file should contain a specific injunction to
creators of packages and binary distributions NOT to enable this option,
no matter how appealing it might seem.

-- vincent