chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] units used by default

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] units used by default
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:32:51 +0200

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:51 PM, John Cowan<address@hidden> wrote:
> felix winkelmann scripsit:
>
>> The "if necessary" is intended to mean: "if not already imported" (in fact,
>> I believe that I possibly meant "loaded", which is incorrect in this
>> context).
>> I will rephrase that passage in the manual. "use" (which is
>> "require-extension")
>> always does an import. Any sort of automatism in the act of importing appears
>> to be dangerous and confusing.
>
> Ah.  In that case, I refine the bug report thus:  (use library) and (use eval)
> throw an error instead of silently succeeding.

You shouldn't "use" these: library + eval can not be imported directly,
they provide the implementation of the exports of the "scheme" and
"chicken" modules. There are no modules with the names "library"
or "scheme", just compilation units, which have the particular
property that they are available by default.

cheers,
felix