chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Patch to use better PRNG on BSD's

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Patch to use better PRNG on BSD's
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:24:30 -0400

Peter Bex scripsit:

> I think a cleaner and more robust way is to actually put a PRNG inside
> Chicken itself.  That way all platforms benefit from a good random
> generator instead of it being a hit-and-miss situation.  Chicken ought
> to provide as good an abstraction over nasty annoying OS details as it
> can.

I agree.  I think the sensible candidates are the Mersenne Twister
MT19937, which is used by Python, Ruby, PHP, and Pure; and L'Ecuyer's
MRG32k3a generator, which is used by the reference implementation of
SRFI 27.

Neither of these are cryptographically secure, but I don't think that's
needed in the core.

--
John Cowan      address@hidden        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        Is it not written, "That which is written, is written"?