chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CR #1142 and upcoming changes
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:25:31 -0400

Mario Domenech Goulart scripsit:

> I'm not sure reorganizing the core and making it smaller justifies a
> major release.  I understand some changes caused by the core
> reorganization may break code, but I'm looking at major releases from a
> user standpoint.  What immediate benefit do those changes bring for
> users?

A new major release doesn't necessarily have to bring immediate benefit.
It's only now with Python 3.4 (arguably 3.3) that parity with Python
2.7 was achieved.  There is still no recommendation to convert working
2.7 applications (as opposed to libraries) and there may never be.

If breaking backward compatibility (the purpose of a major release)
provides a better platform for future innovation, that's enough
justification in general; whether that is true in this case, I don't know.

> R7RS support [...] Unicode and bignums

Those are the obvious candidates for core extensions.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
Here lies the Christian, judge, and poet Peter,