chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:00:28 +0200

Am 10.10.2014 um 11:52 schrieb Christian Kellermann:
"Jörg F. Wittenberger" <address@hidden> writes:

Since chicken 5 is already there (and I'm depending on the fixes to
the current version to run our code at all, which forces more work to
set up a "compile your modified chicken" build for the time being), I
rather try porting those fixes into chicken 5, skipping the double
effort.

For this I'd need to be able to run chicken 5 with no NULL checks
against strings as those still triple as both blobs and UTF-8 strings
in our code base.  And I can't possibly a) follow all those changes to
chicken 5 b) find a solution to possibly wrong uses of those new
strings in our code c) port those fixes into chicken 5.
I am sorry I could not follow you there. So you are saying you have
fixes for chicken core which you seem to be worthy of including in
CHICKEN but want that to be part of CHICKEN-5. But that needs reworking
your patches, which you currently don't have energy for.

Am I reading this correctly?

That's the point.

It's about 70KLOC of code (roughly doing what Ethereum will do once the latter works, just about 20 times a fast [if Ethereum switches to 12seconds per block as they are planning, otherwise it's even faster]) we are talking about.

(Not to mention that I'd like to cut out parts of those 70K, but I'd rather get it to run on any version of an unmodified chicken first.)