chicken-hackers

[Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed

From: Peter Bex
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 21:17:10 +0100

Hi all,

Just a quick question: Now that we've started the 4.13.0 release
process, should we branch off a "chicken-4" branch from master
and merge "chicken-5" into master?

If we decide to do so, how does that work, exactly?  I just tried
and it can be done relatively easily with the following sequence:

  $ git checkout master
  $ rm -rf *  # This will ignore .git in my zsh config
  $ git checkout chicken-5 .  # Check out chicken-5 files into master
  $ git add .  # Add any new files, remove any deleted ones

I'm just not sure whether that's the best way to do this kind of thing,
given that you'd probably lose any sort of merge tracking info at all,
and it will probably produce quite a big commit.

We could also just do a hard reset with force push, but that would be
annoying for people who already have a checkout.

So far, I haven't been able to get git's merge strategies to produce
anything that looks remotely sane.  For example, I would expect that
"git merge -X ours" on the chicken-5 branch and then merging back the
result into master should work, but there are a lot of differences
in my chicken-5 checkout when compared to the original checkout after
doing that.

Cheers,
Peter