chicken-janitors

Re: #1782: Reduce number of Windows configurations by removing Cygwin su

From: elf
Subject: Re: #1782: Reduce number of Windows configurations by removing Cygwin support
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 01:40:39 +0300

John:

Your first two criticisms are not correct.

WSL does work on 64-bit Win7.

Cygwin requires admin to install, at least every time I've installed it.

Let's also add that MS itself no longer supports any 32 bit configurations and
that Win7 has been out of support now for over five years.

That said: Chicken on Cygwin suffers from some significant problems - my commit
history in C3 and C4 had a lot to do with these issues - but I still don't
think that cutting it out entirely is a good idea, at least not yet. Perhaps
deprecate it slowly?

-elf