chicken-users

Re: Noob needs current tutorial please

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Noob needs current tutorial please
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:39:36 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 03:16:36 +0000 André Sá <andredumatos@net-c.cat> wrote:

> On 1/10/21 2:51 AM, Duke Normandin wrote:
>> Hello & Happy New Year!
>>
>> I'm new to Chicken Scheme. I've got some exposure to newLISP and
>> Gambit-C. I'm continueing my test-drive of Chicken because it
>> produced the smallest executable for helloworld.scm.
>>
>> However, I'm having a bitch of a time finding a tutorial with
>> example code that is current to the most recent version of Chicken.
>> For example: at http://wiki.call-cc.org/friendly-chicken
>> one of the examples is:
>>
>> #;1> (use utf8)
>>
>> It barfs up:
>>
>> Error: unbound variable: use
>>
>>          Call history:
>>
>>          <syntax>          (use utf8)
>>          <eval>    (use utf8)    <--
>>
>> and the list goes on!
>>
>> Any recent tutorials for Chicken out there? TIA ..
>> --
>> Duke
>>

> Hey there!
>
> From a quick glance, it seems that page is for CHICKEN 4 (the current
> version is 5). I think the only differences from that page are that
> instead of `use` you should now use `import`, and that the `numbers`
> egg is no longer needed to have a full numeric tower support.

Indeed, that page was for CHICKEN 4.  I've adapted it to CHICKEN 5.
Thanks for spotting that.

> As far as a "full" tutorial goes, I'm not in on it, but someone else
> may give you some help on that front.

As mentioned by George Oliver in another message,
http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Getting%20started can be a good intro.
Suggestions on how to improve it or suggestions on new documents with a
different approach are welcome.

> For differences between C4 and C5 you may want to take a look at
> this[0] page. Some other possibly useful links are The Manual[1] and
> the documentation[2] for the core language and all the eggs.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> [0]: https://wiki.call-cc.org/porting-c4-to-c5
> [1]: https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/The%20User%27s%20Manual
> [2]: https://api.call-cc.org/5/doc/