chicken-users

Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:41:02 +0100

Hi Lassi,

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 00:12:52 +0200 Lassi Kortela <lassi@lassi.io> wrote:

> Here's a listing of all eggs with
>
> - egg name
> - description
> - license
> - latest egg version number for Chicken 5
> - latest egg version number for Chicken 4
> - link to egg documentation (wiki) and git repo for both versions
> - color indicator saying whether each version is up to date or not
>
> https://misc.lassi.io/2020/chicken-eggs.html
>
> Generated by https://github.com/chicken-contrib/chicken-quick-links
>
> If you have a better place to upload HTML files, or some cron job
> where the script could run, feel free to hack on it.

Isn't that page similar to https://eggs.call-cc.org/4/ and
https://eggs.call-cc.org/5/ in terms of content?

Regarding to the link to the eggs-[45]-latest repos, I think that can be
a bit misleading to people trying to find out the repository of eggs.
Those repositories are merely a representation of the egg caches in git
format -- they are NOT the canonical repositories of eggs.  The
canonical repositories should be linked from the egg documentation.

Just to give you a historical perspective, the eggs-[45]-latest repos
only exist to provide a convenient way for people to get the sources of
all eggs.  We had that possibility in the past when all eggs were in the
subversion repository.  With the adoption of the distributed egg system
we lost the ability of conveniently obtaining the sources of all eggs.
Those git repositories have been created to fill that gap.

Regarding versions being up to date or not, the intent of that
information is not clear to me (it's very probable that I'm just missing
something).  Some aspects that may be relevant when comparing egg
versions between CHICKEN 4 and 5:

* Some egg authors have deliberately stopped updating eggs for CHICKEN 4
  once they got ported to CHICKEN 5.

* Some egg authors have deliberately decided not to port some eggs from
  CHICKEN 4 to CHICKEN 5.

* Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.

* Most people who are creating new eggs are not making them available
  for CHICKEN 4.

All the best.
Mario
--