chicken-users

Nightly Chicken packages, and Chicken packaging

From: Daniel Ziltener
Subject: Nightly Chicken packages, and Chicken packaging
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 18:45:24 +0200

Hello!

I started building Chicken from the git repository as a "Nightly Build".
Currently, there are only RPM packages, DEB might follow later. The packages
are in my personal Chicken repository on openSUSE's OBS service and are
available for openSUSE, CentOS, Fedora, Mageia, RHEL, and SLE:

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?
project=home%3Azilti%3Achicken&package=chicken-git

The packages are compiled with the respective distribution's default C
compiler.

(The "normal" Chicken 5.2.0 builds are available for a wide range of RPM and
DEB distributions here: https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/
zilti:/chicken/ )

That aside, since the upcoming release will likely support the Tiny C
Compiler, is there interest in packages of Chicken compiled with TCC? If so,
any package name suggestions - probably chicken-tcc? Also, at that point I'd
add support for the Alternatives tool on RPM distributions so the different
versions could be installed in parallel.

I also think about renaming the packages from "chicken" to "chicken5" to
reflect the major versions.

Daniel