Re: Japize

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: Japize
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:20:31 -0500

Brian Jones wrote:

> I've again attempted to use Japize against Classpath and while that's
> not really the point here... what is the point is that trying to use
> Japize against jdk 1.1.8 by unzipping classes.zip in the jdk lib
> directory and renaming classes.zip and adding the lib directory to my
> classpath env. manually Japize failed to produce the same result it
> produced when using the zip file.  There was a big difference
> actually.  I haven't dug into the source yet to figure out why though.
> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has encountered this?

You're referring to Japize as in http://stuart.wuffies.net/japi/ right?
I haven't touched that in a while mostly because I got discouraged
trying to make it handle the sheer size of JDK1.2 and 1.3 in a sane
amount of RAM.

Are you using the latest version that is currently on the website (I
pretentiously named it 0.8...)? Are you using the JODE version (IIRC,
replace the word "packages" with "jode" - I need to update the docs at
some point)? (the reflection version gives incorrect information
regarding compile-time constants and is subject to implementation bugs
in things like SVUID (kaffe has one atm that I keep intending to figure
out how to patch)...

Also, note that japi files are not order-sensitive: the content will
just be pulled in in the order it finds the files in the
(filesystem/zipfile). When you say there are big differences, do you
just mean that the result of diff is large? Try piping through sort
first and see whether they are still different.

If all of that fails, please mail me (or post somewhere) a copy of the
zipfile of classes that you are using, and let me know the exact command
lines you are using to invoke Japize for both cases, and I'll take a
look.

Thanks for using Japize :)

Stuart.