Re: LGPL for Dummies...

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: LGPL for Dummies...
Date: 06 Apr 2001 09:58:49 -0600

Brad> I could use a plain English translation of the LGPL:

I'm not a lawyer.  Don't listen to me.

Brad> If I chose to take the AWT from ClassPath and
Brad> modify it for my own VM, are the following statements
Brad> true according to the LGPL?

Brad> - I cannot charge a license fee for using my VM
Brad>   because of the modified AWT.

False.

Brad> - the modified AWT source must be made available
Brad>   to the end user (e.g. cannot just send class files).

True.

Brad> - the rest of the VM and class packages that don't
Brad>   relate to the modified AWT do not fall under the
Brad>   same LGPL (i.e. can be private).

Mostly true.  You must also make it possible for the end user to
relink the resulting application against a new AWT.  (If you have a
classic VM that interprets and loads the peers at runtime, then this
is unlikely to be a problem.  Unless of course you are running on an
embedded device.)

Brad> - any Java app that uses the modified AWT is also
Brad>   not covered under that same LGPL (i.e. can be
Brad> private).

True, with the linking caveat.

Tom