[Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Java pages: project on savannah
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:05:58 +0200

 > Nic, you are way behind the times.  A savannah repository is already
 > set up to manage all of the GNU web pages.  Email address@hidden
 > and ask for access to software/java and you're ready to go.

        This is partialy true. A project exists for /software/javadeps but
there is no project for /software/java. If webmasters are giving access
to the whole web site (inclusion in the savannah.gnu.org:/projects/www/)
instead of creating a specific project when possible, this should be fixed.

        If a group of people has to work specificaly and only on
/software/java, it's a lot better to create a project for this purpose
than inserting them into the savannah.gnu.org:/projects/www/. If the
same person has to work on /software/kawa, he can be a registered
developer of both groups and will have access to both
directories. Becoming the developer of a given group takes no time at
all (typing the account name in project admin + return). In addtion,
asking your co-workers on some projects to add you to the list is
likely to be a fast process. Asking the overbusy webmasters is likely
to be a slow process. In some rare cases (translators for instance) it
may be more convinient to give access to the whole web site. It's not
a question of security or fear that someone does bad things. It's just
more practical this way.

        I see that there are 28 members in /projects/www/. How many
of them are here simply because they have to get access to a single
directory ? Maybe none, maybe a few. Hopefully all this is already
very clear in the mind of everyone. If so please excuse me for this
verbose message.