Re: Event class?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Event class?
Date: 12 May 2001 17:43:15 -0600

>>>>> "John" == John Keiser <address@hidden> writes:

John> - Can Aaron change the license on the code to GPL+exception
John> himself?

I'd prefer we not do this.  I don't want to anger RMS or to have him
feel like the libgcj hackers are somehow trying to subvert the
agreement we reached.  Anyway there's no real need.  libgcj's has
about the same amount of code as the Classpath AWT already.

John> - Is the real purpose of the signing over of copyrights to allow
John> RMS to decide which GPL the code is licensed under?

I don't think so.  I mean, he can make decisions about that, but my
experience has been that he really can't make them in a vacuum, and
there is usually a lot of possibility for negotiation.

John> I donated the code in trust because he said he could defend it
John> better in court that way and with the understanding that the
John> code would always remain free--*not* so he could make decisions
John> that impede the progress of the project.

As far as I can tell this really is the reason.

John> Does it seem to anyone else like open source projects spend as
John> much time on licensing as on code?  Or is it just when GNU's
John> involved?

Yeah, GNU projects seem to spend a lot of time on licensing, at least
at certain points in their life.  I just try to remember that
licensing is important.

Tom