Re (3): testing before a release

From: reali
Subject: Re (3): testing before a release
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:02:35 +0100 (MET)

Hi Etienne,

thanks for the speedy answer.

> Q: If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean that
> any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
>
> A: Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.

Is a JVM _using_ the library? I would compare the JVM to a compiler
and linker: it translates the the java code (inclusive the library) to
some native code, links it together and starts the execution.

The JVM is used by the libraries, whenever a native call is done. (note the
passive form here)

A problem arises, if the JVM itself uses functionalities from the classes,
and the Java Libraries can be tempting, as they are designed to include the
JVM and have lots of other functionalities too, that are available once the
JVM is bootstrapped. This is probably where the clause would match.

-Patrik
--
Patrik Reali, address@hidden
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/reali/